Wednesday 28 January 2015

Bruce My Big Blue Buddy

Last Friday while I was sitting on the Wellington waterfront I had a friend come visit me. From what I understand he is a blue shark and possibly an older juvenile. Needless to say he gave me a rather large fright when he suddenly appeared right in front of me. 


Blue sharks usually like the clear deep blue water but this guy seemed pretty happy cruising the shore line. I wonder if the beautiful hot weather has brought him out.It appeared that he had been caught in a line at some point as you could see some fishing line trailing down his body from his mouth. He's made multiple appearances in the days since, and some people even managed to cut the line that was attached to the hook. 


On Monday I went back out, with my camera at the ready to see if he would make another appearance. Low and behold he popped up and I managed to get a few photos, people then followed him down the waterfront as he drifted along. Last night he was on the national news and he's also been featured in the paper.

Our World Tuesday
Water World Wednesday
Outdoor Wednesday
Skywatch Friday
Saturday's Critters

15 comments:

  1. Awwww... He's looking for friends I am sure. So lovely to see wildlife like this. And beautiful water colours too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome blue shark. You're so lucky to see him close while you aren't swimming.
    Wonderful shots.
    www.1sthappyfamily.com/2015/01/a-tiny-island-in-sunda-strait.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thrilling experience for you! I love the colour of the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adventure to see a blue shark right up close like you did and to go back again you are brave. Awesome! Hope someone will cut off all the fishing line off of this wonderful blue shark.
    JM, IL-U.S.A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like he is very happy with his new home

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww - nice to see people helping out the shark.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, he must have been curious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool, glad someone got the fishing line off him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's (she's?) a beauty and you've captured him brilliantly. Well done!

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! What a find adn great that you got a photograph of the Shark. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, he is close to the shore.. I hope no one was swimming there.. Awesome shot. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful shots. I like your shark buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool sighting! I'm glad they got the fishing line off him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great photo of your blue friend.

    ReplyDelete