Wednesday 26 March 2014

ABC Wednesday - Killer Komodos

 At Tarongo last year I saw this massive Komodo. He would have been easily over 2 meters (6ft 5"). He didn't move much while I was looking but I don't particularly want to imagine him chasing me, they can sprint up to 20 km (12mph) in short bursts.
 

As of May 2009 there are only two institutions which house Komodos in Australia and none in New Zealand. They are quite rear in zoos as they often suffer complications in captivity. 


Inside the reptile house there were two much smaller dragons, approximately 1 - 1.5 mtrs (3 - 5 ft) in length. These two were much more active and seemed to pop out of the trunk to say hello. I hope that doesn't mean I looked like dinner.


5 comments:

  1. Always reminds me of the movie The Freshman. Did you see it?
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I've come across this reptile. XD At least I'd know as much to keep my distance when I see one. Love that last one peeking out of the trunk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No I wouldn't want a bite from one of those either, Fascinating but just a bit scary.
    Joy - ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say they are kreepy!!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete